Thursday, September 20, 2018

Assignment 4

While exploring Angel de Quinta's Stage Door blog, I found a few broadway performances that I really enjoyed. I appreciated reading about the beginning of the Tony awards, however a highlight for me was Liza Minnelli's performance on the show in 1978. It was upbeat and happy throughout with her spectacular vocals accompanying the unique dancing. I prefer it over a performance like "The Eleven O'clock Number." Quinta's review on "The Color Purple" included details on its evolution from a book, to movie, to broadway production. The videos he posted included beautiful songs, each with different styles, the next more modern than the one before. He was correct to say that the cast of the original broadway production was the show's ticket to success. They were phenomenal in the videos I saw. I've also appreciated the blue's style ever since learning about it in a music history class I took. Finally, Quinta mentions that the world has always had wars, injustice, racism, hunger, and inequality, but during the rise of broadway, people began to mention it. The entertainment industry is a great outlet to express political issues and reach the audiences emotions. He explained how "Cabaret" showed the hardships during Nazi Germany and that is has become one of the most important musicals in history. After reading about it, I will be sure to watch it sometime in the near future. (And "The Color Purple," too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment