Friday, December 14, 2018

Music Blog Entry

The five different music movements I chose are techno, dubstep, disco, nineties, and latin. I chose these because they are popular movements, or genres, some related, but all unique. A techno group that is familiar to me is Daft Punk. My roommate is a fan of theirs. Their song One More Time is fast paced, fun, and very abstract using technology to achieve certain sounds of the beat and voice. A music program was most likely used to get quick sounds and a distortion of the singer's singing, which can be considered electronic music. Skrillex is another artist that I am familiar with, as his songs are popularly played on the radio and at clubs. He is not a traditional singer, but rather a "music producer" with electronic music and his music cannot be created using common instruments. His song First Of The Year is a great example of his work. Disco music was more celebrated years ago, however it is heard occasionally in today's music scene. I know that the disco song I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor is well-known by many even though it is outdated. It has a techno beat to it, but it is not completely computerized and can be played from instruments solely. I'm not sure I would consider Gloria's music electronic, however technology was certainly used in its making. Radiohead is a group that exemplifies nineties music. Their song Just is one I have never heard, until recently, and I wouldn't say that is is electronic music or that a lot of technology is used for it, besides an electric guitar. Finally, a Latin artist that creates music using technology is Silverio. After exploring latin world music, his stood out because it's not typically something I would think of when imagining latin music with a tropical rhythm. His song yepa yepa yepa has an electronic beat similar to techno music.

No comments:

Post a Comment